Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tomato Jam

It seems like there's more cooking than crafting going on in my house at the moment. That could explain the extra 10 pounds around my hips...

Reading Penny's recent post about canning, especially canning tomatoes, set off memories of the tomato jam my mom used to cook and how wonderful it was on a warm, fresh-out-of-the-oven slice of bread.
When tomatoes just happened to be on sale at the grocery store, I saw this as a sign.

I lined up the canning jars,

pierced and soaked the tomatoes,

cooked them with a TON of sugar (they should be sliced, I forgot),

and, Voila!, tomato jam!

Now if I had a pantry full of shelves to line these up on (and a fresh loaf of bread)...

14 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. Is there a recipe that you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that sounds different - tomato jam. I suppose it's only like using sharp plums. My elder daughter had a real love of sharp apples and if ever she wants one and we've run out she will eat a tomato instead, she says it hits the spot just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm I've never heard of tomato jam. sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my goodness, something about tomatoes that I never knew. And I thought I knew everything...;-)

    It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! My Mom used to can stewed tomatoes, I love that smell of cooking tomatoes in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I have never canned but it is one more thing on the "to do list"...at least before I die :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of tomato jam. It sure looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have ever heard of tomato jam, but I love tomatoes so it has to be good! (With help) 20 quarts of applesauce were canned this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my grandma used to make tomato jam. I had forgotten all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of tomato jam either! But it looks and sounds very interesting. I also want to ask if there's a recipe you can share? My tomatoes in the garden are really exploding and I'd love to save them for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your jars. I love the idea of tomato jam too - I might just have to make some this summer.
    thanks!
    l

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? No recipe. Aw man, I am bummed.

    I love the name of your blog- so cute. Ok now I am going to page through your blog as if I just found a new magazine!

    ReplyDelete