Monday, August 27, 2007

Remember S&T?

Remember seeing this under "S & T"?

Well, here's what it is...

I was tired of having to rummage through a drawer every time I needed a crochet hook. I was also l looking for an excuse to make a pencil roll, but since I don't have any pencils or a child who has pencils, I figured crochet hooks would fit nicely too.
I thought the hooks may slip out the top (they won't), and I had made that little pocket for scissors and a measuring tape (which would), so I extended the top into a flap.

I didn't know exactly how far I'd want to fold it over (I'm too lazy creative to measure properly), so I just batted and quilted the entire thing. Mistake. It's kind of hard to roll up neatly with that chunky flap. The good thing is that now I know better and the next one will be a little different.

If you're not really tired of the Waverly fabric yet (And I'm not. Thanks LeeAnn!), stay tuned. There's more to come.

14 comments:

  1. So pretty!!! What a great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know about the batting. I have been toying around with the idea of making an art/craft roll for each of my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea! I never know where there is a crochet hook. I'd like one for my knitting needles too. I love your fabric! It's a rainy day here... perfect for sewing (napping and reading, too).
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a very lovely knitting/crochet needle holder! And more of the fabric? No problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the crochet hook roll is a great idea. I will tell you that the problem is you still have to put the hooks INTO the roll. A seemingly simple idea but one that gets lost in me with knitting needles all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH that is so neat- I am working on one of those for my mother's knitting needles. I love the fabric you choose so many great colors. You have a great eye for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely holder... and such wonderful fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is lovely! I have been thinking about making something like this for a girlfriend of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice job! great idea for crochet hooks. at least they can all hang out together, rather than being scattered all over the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All my knitting needles are in a paper shopping bag from Churchmouse. I go through all of them each time I start a new project, I think one of these is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fabric!!

    When I did mine I didn't put any wadding in the flap bit. It's makes it easier to roll up lik you have discovered!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous and now I am inspired to try making one, too. Thank you so much for sharing your project as well as the source link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute -- I need to make one. And who would ever be tired of waverly fabric? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that looks wonderful! I have a knitting roll that my Aunt made me for keeping my knitting needles in and I keep thinking I need to try making a pencil roll (although I don't know who for since I don't have kids:)

    ReplyDelete