Tuesday, June 19, 2007

No sewing machine - Day 1

Yesterday was a crazy day containing, among other things, a burned down house (not mine), babysitting, and a doctor's visit. But it ended on a good note with a wonderful gettogether with my quilting buddies.

In all the commotion the sewing machine did not get to the "hospital" yesterday, but she's packed up and ready to go this morning.

I had to make a plan for the unknown period without automated sewing assistance. Last week Katie started a hexagon quilt, all hand pieced. This struck me as a great idea. And a "Use what you have" project.

I'm making "Grandmother's Flower Garden".

Here's what I have after 3 hours of quilt meeting sewing...

I'm planning on using all bright colors, with every "flower" having a yellow center. The background will be all white to show off the individual little flowers.

I'm so excited that I'm (almost) not concerned about how long the sewing machine will be gone for.

11 comments:

  1. Yours looks so great! I am obsessed with doing this. Just you wait til I get back to blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great so far. I can't imagine hand piecing an entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I would never have the patience for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is going to be good. so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cheery look of these, might even give it a try myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! You two *almost* have me convinced I need to start one of these for my trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to watching your progress on this. I love traditional patterns made with modern fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's looking great so far! good luck with all that hand piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Flower Garden blocks, this is going to be so bright and cheery :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first mother-in-law made a king size grandmother's flower garden quilt all by hand back in the 70's. My only regret in the divorce is that I lost out on any chances of inheriting one of her quilts! One of my UFOs is a grandmother's flower garden on steroids or some other kind of drug. One of these days I will post about it on my blog as I 'fess up to all my UFOs and WIPs!

    ReplyDelete