Friday, December 7, 2018

Temperature Quilt Along - Introduction & Signup

OK, here we go! I realized the other day that most of my quilt alongs are started because I need the motivation to actually complete a project.
When I was reading up on how to host a quilt along, one of the first requirements was to actually make the quilt. Hmmmm...

WARNING: This is a rather long post, but please bear with me.

The premise of a temperature quilt is to make a 365 block quilt where each block has the low and high temperature for a day represented, using a color for each temperature (or range of temperatures, because having a unique color for every temperature would be close to impossible).

If you Google "temperature quilt", you will find many, many amazing examples of past quilts, and different interpretations of the idea.

Because we're a little short on time before the New Year (and the quilt along) starts, I'd like us to get going, so things may change a teenie tiny bit.

I will post some tips to help you plan your quilt this weekend or early next week so, if you're a little confused, don't despair.

DATES
2019 - one whole year!

HOW TO FOLLOW ALONG
- Follow along and post your progress on Instagram using the hashtag #tempquiltalong.
- Follow @twiddletails on Instagram.

WHAT TO DO
Between now and January 2nd: Plan your quilt design and colors and gather your fabric
Every day, January 2nd 2019 thru January 1st, 2020: Make a block using the previous day's high and low temperatures
In the new year (2020!): Assemble and complete your quilt.

12 comments:

  1. I've found your blog at just the right time, as I am planning on starting my first temperature quilt! Looking forward to playing along. Will you be providing a "button" that fellow bloggers can put on their blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not computer savy and I can't find the coloring pages. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you confirm your signup, you should see a screen with a link to the coloring pages.

      Delete
    2. I missed the coloring pages also - will you be sending to our email addresses?

      Delete
  3. I've watched these year after year - I'm hopeful 2019 will be a year I can actually MAKE one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always helps when a bunch of other people are in it with you.

      Delete
  4. I've been blogging and blogging that 2019 will be my year of finishes and not starts. I too have been watching beautiful temperature quilts come about. I'm IN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't have us go to Facebook! I closed my Facebook acct.for good and will not return. I am sure a lot of people besides me have done the same because of all the problems! I just feel (just a personal reason) that Facebook is not good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided against a Facebook group. All information will be on the blog and sharing mostly on Instagram.

      Delete
  6. I've got my layout planned, ordered myfabric, and cannot wait to get started. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still in the middle of my 2018 temp quilt, but have a new block planned for this year. These little blocks go together so quickly -- a pleasure to work on when you have a little bit of time. I'm so happy to join this group to keep me inspired!

    ReplyDelete