Thursday, February 15, 2018

Fabric Organization, Part 3

It's been a while since I posted the previous two installments sharing my fabric organization/storage method: yardage & medium pieces. There's a reason for that (other than life getting away from me).
I'm not quite sure my "small scraps" storage method has been 100% finalized. I'll share where I'm at with this and, if you have any input, please share.

I knew the secret to the smaller scraps would be standardization. My problem was (and still is) figuring out which size cuts would be most useful. Maybe, when I eventually get around to making a scrappy quilt or two, it'll become clearer.

This method applies to anything smaller than around 1/4 yard of fabric.

This is my "scrap" bin. When it gets full (or I have time on my hands), I'll either fold the larger pieces or cut the smaller ones into strips and/or squares.

My rule is as follows:
If I can cut a strip of at least 12", I'll cut a strip. If not, I'll cut squares.

The sizes I'm using right now are:
1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5", 5", 7", and 10". (Update 04/18 - I've eliminated the 7" cuts. No idea why I ever thought that was a good idea.)
I do not cut 1.5" or 2" squares (only strips) because I've already determined that I will NEVER be sewing together squares that tiny. I could do strip piecing and make 4, 9, or 16-patches though...

At the moment I'm using these Sterilite containers for storage. I have to admit I'm slightly addicted to these. I have 12 and counting!

These bins are getting a little full so I'll either have to get more (yay!) or start sewing...

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. my scraps are a mess. But I have these exact same containers for my sprinkles and cookie cutters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm on my way to Target for more this morning.

      Delete
  2. i like how you have made a declaration on size of strips and blocks-- I have yet to do this and my baskets overflow ripe with scrappy goodness that just overwhelms me! I think I may do the 12" strip thing as you are as that seems a very manageable size. thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete