Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Frixion Experiment

As some may know from following me on Instagram and Facebook, my current long term project is the Euphoria quilt. I am REALLY close to the end. The quilt will have a scalloped border. I marked it with my trusty washable marker but found it really hard to see the lines.

Then I remembered that I had a Frixion pen somewhere which would definitely draw clearer lines.  I also remembered that it gets a really bad rap because the lines reappear if the quilt gets exposed to cold temperatures.

I decided to do a little experimentation.

Experiment 1

I used a scrap of pre-washed Moda Bella Solids and created this work of art on it with a Frixion Pen.
I then ironed it to make the ink disappear and put it in the freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit overnight.

The result:
Quite a bit of the ink showed back up!

Experiment 2

I used another scrap of the same fabric and created yet another artwork using the Frixion Pen.
This time I put it in the refrigerator at 38 degrees Fahrenheit overnight.
Result #2:
All gone! It's now been a week and it hasn't come back.

Conclusion:
Since I only tested these two temperatures, my experiments are a little limited. I may do more detailed tests next winter when it gets Iowa cold.

I decided to use the pen to mark the seam line along the border.  Even if the marks come back, they will be hidden.
I'm also not planning on sending this quilt anywhere or gifting it. If lines reappear I can always iron them back out.
I hope this helped if you're wondering about using a Frixion Pen to mark your quilt tops.





15 comments:

  1. That is a great experiment. Thank you for doing it. Making sure to make thin lines, instead of more shading like the nose, and keeping the quilt inside the house instead of outside should do the trick. And like you said, press it if it shows again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I colored the nose to see how much, if any, would should afterwards.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried washing the lines out? Or just wetting the area with a wet cloth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I haven't tried that by I heard that it will wash out with soap.

      Delete
  3. What a great experiment! I’ve tested the pen on a batik fabric. Then set my iron to the hottest setting with no steam. The ink came back! I even tried it with steam. The ink came back. Then I tested the pen on other cotton fabrics. The ink did disappear but left a white line. This is with no heat.

    I am goin to have to try your experience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting. I should repeat this on batik fabric.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to know if the one that reappeared would disappear again with heat (either an iron or tossing in the dryer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a similar experiment a few years ago, and if you intend to wash your quilt with soap, I found that the fixion pen washed away and didn't come back even in the freezer. Just getting it wet didn't do it, but washing in laundry soap did. I was relieved to find this out (Nancy Swanwick).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you only buy the Frixion pens at a quilt shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb,
      No, you can buy them at Officemax or Staples too.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace BlankenshipMay 6, 2021 at 7:32 AM

    My sister and I did that a number of years ago, testing the frixion pen. We were at a retreat and we just put it in the freezer for a short time, then ironed it off again! The quilt you are making is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see it in it's entirety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will iron out again but, if you're gifting the quilt or sending it off to a quilt show, it could be a problem. Not that I'm planning on ever entering this in a quilt show. :)

      Delete