Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hand Appliqué

I've been on a quest to find the best and most accurate hand appliqué technique for a couple of years. Unsuccessfully.

When I started the Baltimore Christmas quilt back in March, I decided to try using plastic templates. Bad idea. The pieces are so small that the little bit of bulk the plastic adds enlarges the sections so much that they won't fit.

I was very discouraged. And gave up.

This weekend at our local quilt show, I spoke to a lady who was working on a beautiful hand appliqué project. And had actually made this quilt.
She recommended that I try backbasting.

I think I may have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
I've got a couple of kinks to sort out (thread, needles, etc.) but I like it. I really like it.

Applique

11 comments:

  1. I have heard some people like this method. I haven't tried it as I like needle turn applique - I draw a chalk line around the template so I know where I need to stitch down and glue baste in place - then stitch - works for me - we all have our own method that works for us - I hope this the back basting method works for you. :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are finding your hand applique groove Anina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love applique. The prep work not so much though. Thanks for reminding me about back basting. I'm going to give it a try. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found that back basting works great for me, no pins to worry about, and just pull a bit of thread out and turn fabric under, when you turn the project over to the wrong side you can see if you have wavered off the line quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I had tried out all applique techniques, but this one is new to me, so I need to find out all about it!
    Hand applique is so lovely to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to suggest that. It is the only method I use for appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back basting? Could you eplain how that works.. I'm kind of new and love applique. I'm hoping to continue quilting. Right now I am only going as far as doing hexagons together which I know isn't applique. I just love the look of applique and really want to try it. Just all of those plastic applique pieces are expensive and if they really aren't necessary, I'd like to find another way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back basting sounds interesting. Seems to be a lot of different methods out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo... look at those branches! Nice! I haven't tried backbasting. It's on my list. I just haven't been motivated since I've gotten so comfortable with needleturn. And I'm lazy. :P But your applique is looking so smooth and gorgeous, I may have to get out of my rut and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Backbasting completely changed my attitude about applique. I like size 11 needles - Jenny Byer are sturdier, Clover gold eye are easiest to thread. Silk thread is my first choice, but have also had good luck with Aurifil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks interesting, nothing I've seen demo'd before. For large pieces this would be helpful, I'd think.

    ReplyDelete