Friday, February 26, 2010

Pinwheel Potholder

Let's make a potholder and then there will be no more pinwheels until Monday. (If you're not sure what I'm talking about, we made half square triangles here and then a pinwheel over here.)

First, we'll make the little hanging loop.
Cut a 2" x 6" strip of fabric.
ph1
Fold it in half wrong sides together and press.
ph2
Open up and fold both ends towards the center press line.
Press again.
ph3
Fold along the center and press.

Stitch close to the edge to secure.

Cut two 8.5" x 8.5" squares out of Insul-Brite or another insulating batting.  I like to double up on this.  If you'd like your potholder even thicker, you can put a layer or two of batting inbetween the two Insul-Brite layers. (You can find Insul-Brite at JoAnns or Hancocks or mabe even your quilt store, although I'm not so sure of that.)

Cut a 8.5" x 8.5" square out of the fabric you'll be using as the back of the potholder and lay it right side up on top of the Insul-Brite.

Fold the loop you made in half and pin it to the fabric on the diagonal. Stitch close to the edge through all the layers as in the photo below.

Place your pinwheel wrong side up on top of your sandwich.

Stitch all the way around leaving an opening for turning. You can make your seam a little wider than 1/4" if you'd like. As long as all seams are the same width, your pinwheel will keep its shape.
Stitch diagonally where the loop is to make the potholder hang neatly when you turn it right side out. Trim that little corner on the diagonal.

Turn your potholder right side out through the opening you left in the seam. Use a chopstick to push out the corners.

Press and then topstitch close to the edge and again about 1/4" in.
I also stitched "in the ditch" along all the seam lines.
I'm not completely happy with how this turned out, but that's operator error (I was in too much of a hurry) and it is a utilitarian product after all.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely, thanks, can’t wait for the pinwheel happening next Monday.

    I tried out linnen in the pinwheel blocks for the potholder, because I want to use my egg blue linnen in the pinwheel quilt. It needs some extra attention....
    I forgot a potholder needs an insulated batting. I will use two layers of 100% cotton batting, hopefully that will do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found insulbrite at my Walmart last night, I was so excited because my JoAnn's is way too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a simple way to make a potholder. and your pinwheel is perfect, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I'm definitely going to whip up a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to find time to make one of these this weekend. Easy peasy and cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So simple and cute! I am definitely putting some of these on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in dire need of some more potholders, I keep finding them in the back yard torn to shreds......4 big ol dogs are to blame, and kids that let them have and take out the pot holders in the first place!

    ReplyDelete