Thursday, October 22, 2009

Houston Part I

Houston was amazing as always!
There was no way I could take photos of all the quilts - 500 or so - but I tried to capture the ones that drew my attention.

This is my favorite quilt in the whole show.

Even though it looks like raw-edge work, each and every little edge is turned under.

The quilt is at least 6' x 6'.
It was made by Martha Brown from Canada.
Here's some of what she said about the quilt:
"I found an embroidery I had created in my teens - a simple design of the wheel of the zodiac.
In interpreting it as a quilt, the challenges were to create effective imagery for each sign and element, maintain a cohesive design, and stay committed to the project.
It took over 6 months/500 hours and I loved every minute of it."

Houston 2009
The center:
Houston 2009
Pisces:
Houston 2009
Aquarius?
Houston 2009
Leo:
Houston 2009
Aries, Sagittarius:
Houston 2009
Virgo, I think:
Houston 2009
I wish I had taken detail photos of all the signs but there were people waiting to see the quilt.

Kudos to you Martha!

Edited to add: Thank you Quiltbug for giving us a link to Martha's site where you can drool over her other creations: http://www.bluemoonfabricarts.com/Index.htm
She now makes absolutely stunning dolls. Be sure to have a look at those.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! "Over" six months -- is she kidding? That would take me forever. What a stunning quilt. I love the beads around the neckline. Thank you SO much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha Brown is a local quilter and I have seen this quilt several times. It never fails to amaze me. Here's the link to her website. Her zebra quilt is phenomenal too.

    http://www.bluemoonfabricarts.com/Index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is really amazing! I have never seen anything like this. It looks like a painting or drawing. I can't imagine each step of the process, from designing it, to quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, what a beauty, and the work that must have gone into it too! It is breathtaking! suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty work - it would have taken me a whole lot longer than 6 months to do but maybe it was the only one she was working on - maybe I need to work on one at a time and I would finish :)
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The eyes looks so alive! (not in the creepy sense) Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is glorious! I love seeing the stitching details in your photos. May I borrow your photos for my files too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely incredible quilt! Wow! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is a breathtaking quilt... I can't even imagine how cool it was in person. Thanks for sharing all the pictures (especially the wonderful detail shots)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I attended the Houston Show, and I thought this quilt was phenomenal! I took quite a few pics of it myself. What an incredibly talented lady. Can't wait to see if the artist has any more upcoming quilts. Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what an ego boost!! I was googling my name to find out any mentions of an upcoming show, and I found all these comments!! Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a labour of love, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete