Tuesday, April 6, 2021

My Favorite Color is Moda Sew Along - Blocks 4 & 5

 I'm thinking I may need to find another sew along to join because making one block a month is driving me crazy.

Block 4 & 5 are simple half square triangle blocks.

Disclaimer: Sometimes I will change the pattern instructions a little bit because a different way works better for me. This does not mean that the pattern won't work exactly as written. If you follow the pattern, your blocks will still turn out fine.

What will make this block lay much flatter is paying attention to your pressing direction.

Tips/Instructions:
1. Pin. I'm not a big pinner but it really helps for larger HSTs.

2. What will make this block lay much flatter is paying attention to your pressing direction.
Press your HSTs as follows:

Block 4:
Fabric 3&5: All toward fabric 5
Fabric 2&5: 2 toward fabric 2 and 2 toward fabric 5
Fabric 7&5: 4 toward fabric 7 and 4 toward fabric 5

Block 5:       
Fabric 3&10: All toward fabric 3
Fabric 3&9: 2 toward fabric 3 and 2 toward fabric 9
Fabric 2&3: 4 toward fabric 2 and 4 toward fabric 3            

3. "Fanning" the seams whenever possible will help too. (I have a tutorial on YouTube over here: https://youtu.be/hsWG44hXLy8)

A little diagram for assembly. The arrows indicate the seam direction:                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                             

Here are the two blocks on the quilt top:

Moda's blog post is also up now. It talks about high and low contrast.
Look at the Tropical Getaway colorway actually made up. I love it!!

NOTE: As of the writing of this post, I still have a couple of kits left in each colorway.  I also have patterns for sale individually if you'd like to make your own version.

I'd love it if you join the Facebook Group and/or post pictures on Instagram and mention the blog (and tag @twiddletails) if you find this post helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment