Friday, May 25, 2018

Spontaneity

IMG_5138 (Edited)
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am not the most spontaneous person on this planet. I'm a planner.
Every so often though, I stumble across something I cannot resist.

An example: When I was at the Houston International Quilt Festival this past November and fell in love with Sue Spargo's Folk-Tails quilt. I've got 15 of the 30 blocks completed, by the way! (This is the one I'm currently working on.)

And when I went to the Winterset, IA "Airing of the Quilts" and saw the little KLM Delft houses in one of the homes open to the public.
I just had to have some and, before you knew it, I had 5 little houses in my possession. (These are my first three.)

I even used them as napkin "rings" when my quilty friends came over last week.

If you've made it this far, I'll get to what this post is really about.

This past Tuesday, Linda M. Poole was the speaker at our guild meeting. She's an amazing artist! As part of her lecture she presented a slide show of art quilts created by herself and other amazing quilters/artists using photos as inspiration.
Somewhere along the way she mentioned that you don't have to be an artist to create something like this. You could use a photo as your jumping off point. Suddenly I had an idea! What if I printed one of my photos on fabric and used some thread painting to embellish it?

My current printer does not have a rear tray and, try as I may, I haven't been able to successfully accomplish printing on fabric. On Wednesday I ran off to Best Buy and bought a new printer. Completely impulsively.

I also did some research on making your own Bubble Jet Set (the stuff that makes printing on fabric permanent and washable). And bought all the stuff to make some.

This post is getting way too long, so stay tuned for the next installment of my latest venture into spontaneity.

2 comments:

  1. Now you have me very curious to see how this project progresses. Love those little houses BTW.

    I did something spontaneous recently too, which is totally out of my comfort zone. I signed up for a quilt cruise with some friends for next winter. It felt good to be spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned. :)
      I know, right? For us non-spontaneous people, occasional spontaneity is such an adrenalin rush!

      Delete