Friday, September 1, 2017

Fabric Organization, Part 2

In my previous post I shared how I organize scraps between 1/4 yard and 1/2 yard.

The rest is a bit of an experiment.

My larger pieces of fabric (> 1/2 yard) have always just been folded up and stored in a tote. I never even looked at them and, frankly, was pleasantly surprised at what I found when I started looking through them.
After some online research, I did the following:
I decided to "file" them. I ordered these magazine backing boards from Amazon.com. They're acid free and not too thick.


Next, I found these file storage bins on Target.com. They were kind of pricey but exactly what I needed.
(Interestingly enough, when you fold yardage twice along the width, it's around 11"!)
I know that yardage rolled onto cardboard sheets would get to be bigger than 8.5" x 11", so I needed bins with a little more volume. These are 11.19 inches H x 13.75 inches W x 17.5 inches L.
I also needed them to be clear-ish so I can see what's inside each bin without opening it.

I folded each piece of fabric along the length one more time (since yardage is already folded once) and then rolled it onto a cardboard sheet as tightly as possible without bending the cardboard. Lastly I secured it with a pin.

As you can see, these fit quite nicely into the tote.

The most yardage I have on a sheet so far is around 6 yards and it's working just fine!
Up next, the small scraps.

2 comments:

  1. This is really similar to how I store my yardage, except I keep everything 1/4 yd and up together. I keep wondering if I'd be happier with them divided like yours, or if I like having all the similar colors together. It comes down to me always being too lazy to try the division out! heh. I'm kinda silly that way.

    ReplyDelete