Monday, August 6, 2012

It's-a me, Mario!

I know I said the Mind the Gap quilt was going to be my next project, but then the fabric for my Super Mario quilt arrived and I HAD to make the first block.

Here is is soaking in the tub to remove the stabilizer from the back.  I used Sticky Fabri-Solvy from Sulky because it was way cheaper than Stick-and-Washaway.
Since I've never used Stick-and-Washaway, I can't compare the two, but it worked well.
Super Mario Brothers QAL Block 1

When he came out of the "wash" the first time, he was 1" taller than he was wide!
Super Mario Brothers QAL Block 1
So...I stitched all the vertical seams an eighth wider and he's close to square now. Well, except for the wonky-ness. I'm hoping a lot of steam will help straighten him out a bit. 
Super Mario Brothers QAL Block 1

HUGE LESSON: Backstitch the start and end of each seam. No matter how careful you are, these blocks are going to be manhandled a bit.
Super Mario Brothers QAL Block 1
(I'm using Bella Solids from Moda. I will post a list of the fabrics I used in a later post if anyone's interested.)

2 comments:

  1. So did you sew it like one would do a color wash quilt? On a grid of stabilizer? Hmmmm. Never thought of that. It sure would make straighter seams than I am capable of sewing.

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I can't wait to see this one when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete