Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Go! Baby Appliqué Pillow Tutorial Part I

Finally! Summer (what little we've had) has certainly been distracting me.

When I was sent the Go! Baby I could choose three dies. I decided to make one of them appliqué shapes since there are already so many pieced Go! Baby tutorials out there. I chose the "Feathers" die.

Even though this tutorial is for the Go! Baby, you can use it for any other pillow with a center design. I will also be giving away a Go! Baby soon...

This is what we're making.
Applique Pillow
(cover for a 16"x16" pillow insert)
You will need:
1 Go! or Go! Baby fabric cutter
1 Go! Feathers fabric die
1 5" x 10" Go! Cutting Mat
1 yard white fabric(I used Bella Solids)
1/2 yard red fabric
1/4 yard blue fabric
1/4 yard green fabric
1/4 yard yellow fabric
3 sheets of fusible web for applique.  I like Steam-A-Seam. 
(these are very generous fabric requirements.  You probably won't need quite as much.)

Cut 3.5" x 5" pieces of fabric:
2 x blue
4 x red
6 x green

Out of fusible web, cut 12 pieces a little bit smaller than 3.5"x 5".
Attach fusible web to the wrong side of each fabric piece according to the manufacturer's instructions.
(To save on web, I did patch it in places and it worked just fine.)
Place a section of fabric right side up on the foamy side of the die, making sure that you're covering the shapes with fabric. It's a little hard to see in the photos but you can see the shapes on the foam. 
Place the Go! Mat on top of the fabric and die. Line up.
Turning the handle, move the fabric and die through the cutter.
 
Remove the mat and the fabric.
Voila! Three little blue raindrops.
Following this method, cut the rest of your shapes.
As you may have noticed in the first photo, some of the feather shapes are mirror images of each other. To cut these, simply place the fabric on the die right side down.

You will need to cut:
5 blue raindrops
5 red feathers
5 red feathers mirrored
5 green feathers
5 green feathers mirrored
5 green raindrops

Using a 3" x 3" piece of yellow fabric and fusible web, create a 2" circle shape.  I used an egg cup to trace the circle.

That's all for today.
I decided to split the tutorial over two posts because it started getting REALLY long. Please come back tomorrow for the rest.

8 comments:

  1. what do you mean what little summer you have had!! you mean it isn't hot out there where you live :) we have been in the mid 90's or higher since the end of May - I sure wish this heat wave would end soon - love the pillow - the fabrics you show are great.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que hermoso despliegue de colores¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pillow. It is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute pillow Anina! Thanks for doing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun tutorial and it’s a real happy Twiddletails pattern!

    I’m sure all Go! Baby cutters/owners will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I just love the pillow! Your tutorial is going along great so far.. very easy to understand. I can't wait for the rest.. now if only I had a Go.. someday maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pillow is awesome!!! I love all of the bright colors and the sense of movement to the design. So fun! Now I just need a Go. (And more time!) :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pillow. It is so cute. I really like your fabric choices. I would love to have a Go! Baby maybe I will win one soon. I have been trying for months, and finding a few great blog in the process. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete