Friday, January 16, 2015

Picture Day Part 2

Today the light was perfect for photos!

IMG_3762
I can only share a little peek here because I'm finalizing the pattern but I did want to share my successful attempt at attaching the binding by machine.

I found quite a few tutorials online but nothing that worked for me.
I'm not fond of the look you get when using a blanket stitch. And sewing the binding on from the back just left a little too much room for error (and too much seam ripper activity).
I will share the technique I came up with soon, but I thought I'd show some closeups.

The back:
IMG_3765
The front (pretty cool - you can hardly see the stitching):
IMG_3766
A corner (not perfect but I'm happy):
IMG_3769
(The fabric I used for the binding is Michael Miller Play Dot in "Sea" and the background gray in the quilt is Moda Bella Solids 9900 83 Gray. It's a really nice, warm gray. I think I'll be using it a lot from now on. All Bella Solids are 20% off in the store right now and I just got a bolt of the gray.)

Edited 1/16/15: The pattern is now available in the Craftsy store!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. The binding looks great! I look forward to hearing more about your technique. I've been using Red Pepper Quilts's tutorial-- it takes practice, but it has been working pretty well for me. But my corners sure don't look like that! Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The binding looks wonderful! Curious to see how you managed that!

    ReplyDelete