Friday, June 29, 2007

Strawberries & Cream

I still don't have a sewing machine. But I do have a knitting project in the works...

Here's what happened to Jennifer's strawberry jam. Scones with strawberry jam and cream. Going back to some of my British roots. Thanks again, Jennifer!

After Josh discovered how wonderful this jam was, he promptly dug into it and, in true 14-year old fashion, there is now about 1/2" left in the bottom of the jar.

These scones are small, and more in the British style. They are very crumbly, but oh, so good!

Quick Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
about 1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit (250 degrees Celcius).
Grease a cookie sheet or cupcake pan.
Sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl, making sure to mix them properly.
Pour vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup. Add the egg. Fill the rest of the cup with milk.
Add the liquid to the dry ingredients without stirring and mix with a knife or spatula until it forms a soft dough. Do not overmix. Do not mix with a spoon.
Put spoonfuls of dough on the cookie sheet or in cupcake cups, or flatten slightly and cut or press into desired shapes (the rim of a glass works well).
Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly brown.
Top with jam and cream and enjoy!

(On top of the lack of sewing machine, we're now having serious internet connection problems. I hate Verizon...)

Edited on 6/30 to add:
I nearly "coughed" up a lung when I reread my post. I, of course, meant "spoonfuls of dough" not "spoonfuls of cough". I fixed it, but thought this was a very good example of the shortcomings of spellcheckers, because Mozilla automatically spellchecks now (and "spellcheck" is NOT a word, but "spell check" sounds like something Harry Potter might do).
OK, this is now a post of its very own. I'll stop.

7 comments:

  1. look what you can produce without a sewing machine! I love scones, and these look especially good, I will be bookmarking this recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made scones today too. I'm glad you're enjoying the jam although it sounds like you wish some were enjoying it a bit less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to bookmark this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I just made strawberry peach jam yesterday and it would be great on top of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious. I can't wait to try your recipe.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Makes me think of the Puallup Fair! Only better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your lovely blog. These scones look like heaven and I can't wait to try them. Thank you so very much for sharing the recipe!

    I hope to learn more about you by reading your blog.!
    Tiffany
    scrapsadaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete